Monday, June 1, 2015

Hey Familia!

Hey Familia!! 

It's so interesting to be in a place where there is so much of two different things. Here iniquity and sin abound, but in the same moment there are God-fearing and God-serving people. It's so extremely strange. But I LOVE IT! 

I wanted to tell you a little bit more about Teresa. She didn't come to church this Sunday, I imagine for the same reason- the four little girls she is raising. But we visited her and we had a beautiful lesson. Like almost all the people, she believed that Jehovah is God (Heavenly Father) as it always says in the Bible.(It's been a LONG WHILE since she has been to church...) But we shared with her the scriptures that Grandma Holley sent to me and she UNDERSTOOD!!!! We were so happy. Once we explain that Jesus Christ is the God of the earth and the God of the Old Testament usually they understand. She knows A LOT about the Bible. Whenever she is not helping one of the four girls, she is reading her bible. I agree with you mom, that you can feel the heart beat of God in any person who LOVES God and shows Him through their actions. I have felt the heart beat of God here in Mexico very strongly in many different people and throughout my life.

10 of Teresa's children died throughout the years, and right now 4 are living. All 4 are alcoholics. When I listen to Teresa talk about God and about the Bible, it's something I can't explain with words. She is so humble, so wise, so full of Godliness. There is not a jealous bone in her body. She knows no envy. Although she is about 70 years old she is so beautiful to me. Her spirit is pure and I feel the heart beat of God in her. 

We have had some trials with Mariana's husband this past week. Mariana asked him if he would like to get married so that she might be baptized, and he said no. We haven't been able to talk to him- we tried but we were able to tell really quick that he doesn't want to talk with us and he told us he had to leave. Mariana looked very sad and told us she couldn't come to church on Sunday. And she didn't come. We were heart broken and frankly we don't know what to do. We have been doing a lot of praying and I believe in miracles. When we left her house the day that her husband said no, something told me that everything was going to be okay. The day before that day, we went searching for the requirements to be married in Guatemala, and one of them is that she needs her DPI (I think it's like your social security or driver's liscence) and she lost hers. So many things have been getting in the way! Since my companion is from Guatemala, she started looking up how to get Mariana a DPI. We will stop at nothing because we know that with God all things are possible. 

Sometimes I think if I could help these people see their potential they would be overwhelmed. But I know that it is our light, not our darkness that truly frightens us. It is what truly lies within us that we fear to let shine. Why? Who knows. IT is silly. Why should we have to shrink to make others feel comfortable? There is nothing enlightened about that... and there is a quote that says something like this but I can't remember who said it. 

So let go, and let GOD make you into what you were destined to become. Not man. 

We found a 15 year old named Alfredo. He came to us and told us he wants to quite smoking. But he says it's super hard and can't seem to. (I learned from mom that smoking is harder to quite than other drugs and now I'm seeing it) We taught him the plan of salvation and he said he would like to be baptized. But he has many problems as well with his family. I will let you know how it goes with him.

Lupita has now come 4 times to church, and she just needs to come to church 5 times to be baptized. She told us today that she wants to be baptized and that she believes everything that we have told her. She told us that we always say that we know this or that is true becomes we have faith in God. She always gives the most beautiful prayers asking God to protect us. Almost everyone who prays in the lessons prays for us. IT is beautiful and I have seen the protection it has brought.

The other day it was storming and we were walking in the street. A huge black and gray dog appeared OUT OF NO WHERE and attacked us barking wildly. I was sooooo scared. He had a metal chain around his neck but it was not fastened to ANYTHING. It was as if he had BROKEN AWAY from where he had been chained. I was praying so hard and we kept walking really fast and my companion was looking around for rocks but there was NOTHING. He stopped barking for one second and then started AGAIN right behind us. I prayed more and as we looked back HE WAS GONE. I am not kidding- no where to be found. We have past by that same spot many times since but he is not there. I know God is protecting us and that the prayers of my family are ANSWERED. 

Please, please, don't for one minute doubt the love that God has for you. Because if you do, you have BOUGHT IN TO FALSE DOCTRINE. God's love is not dependent on your actions. God's love is constant and I think it grows even more. 

I love you family, 

Hermana Cook 
P.S.remember that life is really all about God and His Son Jesus Christ and serving them.

P.P.S. The new dress is a dress I bought in Villaflores at a little shop. They import ALL the clothes from the United States even though there is NO one tall enough to fit into it but me!! :) I'm so lucky. I love you momma. 



No comments:

Post a Comment